Saturday, October 31, 2009

To men with dysthymia: how did you overcome it? Did you do it without meds?

For personal reasons, I just wanted to ask "guy to guy", if there's any guys on here that used to have dysthymia (aka light depression, as I call it, or chronic depression), and if you overcame it fully and how you did it. I deal with it on a daily basis and I feel it's almost debilitating, as I can't have fun and enjoy the sun, love of others, beautiful things, etc. I believe it stems from emotional stuff in the past though, so I don't want to take meds ( I'm anti-med anyway). Suggestions guys? Ladies are allowed to input, but I mainly did address the question to guys that fit the description.
Answer:
I have suffered from the same malady as you on and off for 25 years. I tried exercise, diet change, you name it but couldn't get the monkey off my back. I finally went to a psychologist who told me taking meds for my problem is the same as someone who takes meds for migraines, arthritis, stomach problems, etc. They treat and relive the problem. We have a mental problem and meds are used to treat them just like any other problem. I take a .5 Xanax and only take them if I feel an episode coming on. Some days I'm fine and don't need them. On the days I do, they are a godsend and work very well. Good luck!
I'm not a guy, but there are a lot of things that you can do to help. Basically all the medications that they would give you effect the amount of Serotonin in your brain. They're technically referred to as SSRIs or "Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors."

There are lots of things that you can do to naturally increase your serotonin levels without taking medication though. Daily exercise will increase serotonin levels, so try going for a walk every day. You can start out just going around the block, and eventually walk longer and farther. Hopefully you can eventually step it up to jogging. Riding a bike is good exercise too.

Getting sunlight helps the brain produce serotonin. Try to sit out in the sun for just a few minutes a day to get the serotonin-factory in your brain cranking.

Vitamin deficiencies, even small ones can lead you to have less energy and to be depressed. Taking a multivitamin every day is just all around good for you. B vitamins in particular are important. Taking Omega 3s (which you find in pills like Fish Oil, but won't find in a multivitamin) also helps a lot of people with depression.
I am not a man but I have mental illness as well. If you think you are feeling this way because of things in your past and don't want to take meds, I would suggest you find a good counselor. Ask your physician to recommend one. Maybe talking about the things that bother you will help you get past them. I suffer from depression and panic disorder and I take an antidepressant. It really helps me to live my life and feel better. So if counseling doesn't help, don't give up maybe medication will be the way to go. You may be amazed at how much they help.
I have that diagnosis and medication is the only thing that really works.

I don't want to take medication either; but that's the way it goes.
I'm not a man but I have the same condition and I have been much better since going back to college. Keeping the brain engaged on things outside our own lives. There are some good men's clubs that help the needy. Have you tried fishing, a lot of men enjoy it and it will get you outside. I can understand not wanting to take meds because sometimes the side effects can be worst than the problem. You might tell the doctor of being anti-med and get the weakest one at half dose. Life is too short to be sad when better is just a pill a day away.
Don't know how scientific this is, but to me there's a difference between mental and emotional problems. Emotional is when something has happened and you're having difficulty dealing with it and processing it. And it's dragging you down. Which is where you might be right now. But if you don't clear the emotional slate through therapy, you can damage your neurons and end up having a mental problem - depression. And really needing meds. Guys seem to have a harder time going for therapy, but if mob boss Tony Soprano did it, why not you? It could save you a lot of angst and grief further down the road. Because those emotional issues are not going to go away. They will be in your subconscious until you deal with them. I know some guys who had issues they didn't deal with and ended up having much bigger problems down the road - especially the guys who drank in an effort to drown their sorrows. So please please please talk to a therapist or a minister/priest. Blessings and Bliss! - Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Mental Health © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net