Saturday, October 31, 2009

Theres nothing I can do to help my alcoholic dad?

I know most people say that an alcoholic has to be able to want to change in order for them to actually change. But, I was thinking, isnt it possible to use LSD to brainwash my dad into not wanting to drink? Timothy Leary found that LSD allows people to reimprint their brain, with his experiment with jailmates, and how 80% of them changed their way of life. Can the same happen with alcoholics?
Answer:
A relative of mine went through LSD treatment, in a private hospital, in the way you described for alcoholism. (in the UK in 1966)
It didn't work for him, he ended up in and out of Mental hospitals until he died an alcoholic vagrant in the street some ten years later.
It may work for some, but I think the Timothy Leary figures for success are probably a bit suspect.
I would say it is a very risky chance to take.
they have clinics and groups for families, children who have a parent that is an alcoholic, or for the alcoholics. look them up
NO! Addiction is a disease. You can't cure it, and you can't treat it with another harmful, psychogically addictive drug. What you can do is go to AL-ANON so your life becomes more manageable for YOU. That is how you can help your father. He has a progressive, chronic and incurable disease. It can be put in remission, but you can't fool him into getting sober or stopping. He needs medical attention and treatment, perhaps 12-step prorgrams.

PS%26gt; Regarding the Timothy Leary experiments- I would change my life too if I was just "switching drugs."
I definitely would not recommend that. Alcoholics will not have the will power to quit drinking unless they've hit rock bottom and there's nowhere else to look but up. It's true that they have to want to quit drinking for themselves to maintain sobriety.
wouldnt recommend that. You need to take care of you. It hurts but your dad needs to learn that he has to stop drinking. You could possibly suggest him going to AA so he isnt going through it alone. Maybe you can hit up al-anon. I know that all sounds like crap and I thought the same when someone told me to go but when I got in the meetings I realized how strong all the people were even if they had probs with self medicating. AA gives me somewhere to go when there is no where else to go. But really you can only do so much.
It might but it would cost allot of money
This is a real problem on here, some folks just like to shock people to see what types of reactions they receive to their questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Mental Health © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net