Sunday, October 25, 2009

Taking Melatonin and Seroquel?

I am planning to take Melatonin due to my insomnia problem, but I was worried if it will affect to the med I am taking, the Seroquel.

The problem starts from here; I have been trying to get off of the Seroquel for some time, but when I stop taking the Seroquel, I can not sleep.

I am having the insomnia anyway while taking the Seroquel.

Do you think, it wiil be more difficult to quit the Seroquel if I begin taking the Melatonin?

Please help me on this.

Thanks
Answer:
Your biggest concern should be with Melatonin. Anyone who is taking a SSRI medication should be very cautious with taking "herbal supplements". For example.taking Melatonin while taking fluoxetene (Prozac) can cause psychotic episodes. If you doubt this then I suggest you come and spend some time in the Emergency Room. I've seen it happen more than once.
You should never try to take yourself off a medicine. Talk to your doctor who prescribed it and see what he thinks. If he agrees, I'm sure he'll help you get off it.
you should definately stop the seroquel my son was on it for a while it caused Tardive Dyskinesia (thankfully he is very young and most symptoms have gone away) but dot stop the meds with out consulting your doc. you can also try clonidine thats what my boy takes and it works even better than the seroquel (his insomnia is due to early onset bipolar disorder)
don't take medication! it screws with your brain and makes you worse!
As far as a chemical-chemical reaction, it's unlikely that the two would influence the action of the other. Besides that most reputable studies show that melatonin isn't any better than placebo in relieving insomnia, so if you're going down from seroquel you might want to consider a more efficient substitue. May I suggest Kava Kava or 5htp supplimentation?
First of all, ask yourself why you're trying to get off of the Seroquel. What were the reasons that Seroquel was started in the first place? Do you have any serious problems with Seroquel, such as hyperglycemia? Or do you just want to stop taking Seroquel because others told you to stop taking it?

See, it sounds to me life you are pursuing alternative therapy rather than a conventional one. If that's the case, just remember that alternative therapy is just that - alternative. In fact, affecting Melatonin is done using the sleeping pill Rozarem. Rozarem affects Melatonin. Your medical choices are yours alone and it can be wise to use both conventional therapies and alternative therapies together, but they both carry risks together (see St. John's Wort with Prozac). My advice is talk to your doctor first and "This above all else, to thine own self be true (William Shakespeare)".
There are studies under way concerning Seroquel and weight gain. Seroquel never worked for my insomnia, Melatonin is over the counter and may work for a short period of time.
Most doctors will not prescribe what works unfortunately because of exacerbating one problem with another, i.e. narcotics.
Melatonin, and other supplements (Valerian Root, St. John's Wort, etc.) say right on the bottle NOT to take if you are taking any prescription meds...


Talk to your doctor or pharmacist. I know that Seroquel is not good for everybody--my daughter had a bad experience with it. Maybe your doctor will wean you off the Seroquel, and either change you to another prescription med--or allow you to take the Melatonin. Realize, however, that Melatonin is only for sleep--if you were given Seroquel, you have other disorders that need attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Mental Health © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net