Saturday, October 31, 2009

Thinking of Death on a Daily Basis What Should I do?

This is my first time posting here so here it goes. I am 27 and a female who is obese. Recently I have been having chest pains and what seems like panic attacks. I went to the doctor and they found nothing wrong with me. Everytime I go to sleep I think I am going to die and I start having chest pains. It has come to the point where I am afraid to sleep. I don't know what to do. I am tried of crying and being afraid of going to sleep. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help!
Answer:
It doesn't matter whether you are heavy or not, Panic Attacks do not discriminate between thinner and heavier people.

I had all of your symptoms...and more. Yet, all of my blood tests/thyroid function tests turned out negative, also. Heart checked out OK, too. My doctor was wise enough to know to send me to a Psychiatrist who confirmed a Panic Disorder diagnosis. It took some trials of different medications (usually the brain chemical out of sync in anxiety disorders is serotonin) called SSRI's - which simply keep your brain from quickly reaborbing your own serotonin that you make %26 keep it in the brain longer.

Since the concentration of each person's brain chemicals is different, what medication works for me might or might not work for you as well.
Definitely get treatment as soon as possible so this doesn't get worse and you develop agoraphobia (fear of places where you have these feelings). And remember..that is what they are...feelings that your body is generating by producing too much adrenalin which wrecks havoc with many of our organs (the "fight or flight" response to a perceived threat).

Some people just get panic attacks when they are undergoing unusually high stress in their lives. You might be going through a stressful period (or just came through one).
I hope you are one of those that eventually stop the medication and are fine.

If you don't have health insurance, you might want to try Kava Kava. It's an herbal remedy, but often not strong enough for most people to stop all the symptoms.
You need to find a Dr. that is sensitive to your needs. Although you may have no physical signs that show a problem there's a chance you have panic disorder.
I do the same thing. But that's only because I have asthma. But I really dont know what to tell you because I'm not an adult or anything but for one I think you should try to excercise so at least you know your weight is getting better and your getting healthier. I also sleep with a teddy bear =). Sounds lame but really I talk all my problems out to her. Another thing: if you believe in god- pray and excercise. Everything will be fine.
Get professional help ASAP. This is not normal. You are having anxiety attacks. You need to talk to somebody who can give you some help.
If you are obese ~ that is scary. AND you are so young. Get on a weight loss program. Weight Watchers is the best. The meetings are important, informative, creative, helpful and supportive. You learn alot. My sister (51) has been obese for 25 years and she joined Weight Watchers a year and a half ago and she has lost 85 pounds and has another 55 to go. She weighed 300 pounds and was redfaced and huffing and puffing all the time. She also has gotten into an exercise program that she loves - water aerobics and spinning classes. I'm so happy she is finally losing the weight she needs to lose to keep herself alive.
ONLY YOU CAN DO IT ~ with the help of freinds and supporters at WEIGHT WATCHERS. Call them or go online to their website.
This is truly the only weight loss program that works ~ for life.
It will change your life. And at 27 you need to do it now !
a couple years ago...hmm actually it was soon after my wife left me...anyways, I started having difficulty breathing while laying in bed waiting for sleep. I was convinced this was the end.
But it went away.
It would happen 3-4 nights per week for a couple months.

You're 27..still young. Start an excercise gig going. Cuz even if this does go away now...being obese is going to give you high blood pressure, diabetes, etc...leading to heart failure.

Also...not all physicians are created equal. Get a second oppinion.
First off, find another doc. Although there may be no physical problems, you may have hormonal or mental issues that you are unaware of. I have gone through spells of panics attacks usually for reasons still unknown, I was stressed without realizing it most of the time.

If panic attacks are the issue:
Panic attacks from stress usually come along with headaches. The fact that you are fearing death could be adding to your stress, worsening the problem.

Have you been on meds?:
My last attacks have come from medications. My body went through withdrawal of some meds, which my doctors never warned me about. If you have just stopped any medicine, talk to your doctor and try to ride it out. If you have taken any diet pills you need to let your doctor know, they are unregulated and can have various side effects (especially affecting your heart rate and breathing).

Have you had upper GI exams?:
Another problem could be a silent form of acid reflux. Simple tests can't show it, you'll have to have a GI study done. They place a tube through your nose down to the opening of your esophagus. You eat normally and track your activities. By the results they can tell if you have any GI disorders and what affects it. With "silent" reflux you tend to have pain when lying down. Simple changes to your diet and even timing of your meals can prevent this.
yu do have a panic disorder and the dr should have given you something for that to help you sleep and cope. go to another dr. and tell them what you are feeling. i have had a panic disorder for a long time. i have benn taking something for it. and am thankful for the peace from nervous suffering. life is too short to screw around with drs that don't help yu. in the mean time, make your mind up to let God help you with you eating habits. one day at a time just one day. it seems to be a long DAY , but it didn't take you a DAY TO GET OBESE .. think about it and try to get some help.. we all have problems with health and we all have to face them head on, my problem is not obese, but for the grace of God go i. it could be next month. right now it's alcohol. i'm trying and you can too. God speed! love you ,joyce
You seem to be having panic attacks and maybe have depression too. I suggest you seek out a counselor and get some talk therapy very soon.
Hi! Sorry to hear you are feeling bad. Try the following steps for panic. The first one will stop a panic attack in its tracks, but the other two will help you attaining better mental health long term:

1. Breathe properly. If you control your breathing, you control panic. As soon as you notice the signs of anxiety, check your breathing: breathe in slowly through your nose pushing your tummy out (to the count of 5 or so). Breathe out slowly and for a bit longer (to the count of 7 or so) through your mouth. Do not breathe rapidly or shallowly (in the chest area). This will soon restore the balance of oxygen and you will feel a lot better.

2. Try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy! CBT is proven to be the most effective thing for panic attacks and anxiety. It takes a bit of work, but it is super effective. (After 15 years of panic attacks, mine stopped completely). You can speak to your doctor about doing a course or you can take a course for free online at: www.livinglifetothefull.com/ It has been funded by NHS Scotland and has had great results thus far.

3. Try relaxation exercise tapes (progressive muscular relaxation). They really help if you practise often enough

Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Mental Health © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net