Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Unipolar Mania in the DSM?

My dad suffers from unipolar mania and I'm just wandering why it isn't classified in the DSM as a seperate disorder from bipolar in the same way unipolar depression is.

My dad has never had any depressive episodes, only manic episodes and mood swings. Does anyone know why it isn't there?
Answer:
You know I have no idea why that is but I can guess that the mania in both disorders is the same. I always thought that unipolar did not have mania as a symptom but major depression.
Does it matter? Anyway, I have an idea. Probably because it's disputed as to whether or not it really happens. He has mood swings you say, well depression can come out, especially in men, as anger or a temper. Plenty of men never seek help for depression and go on living lives like normal, maybe watch a little more TV than usual and get more irritable and sensitive. It's possible that your dad has had depressive episodes that were missed, ignored or blamed on his moody temperment.

The other possibility is that it really doesn't matter. Unipolar mania is treated and presents itself very much like bipolar mania.

Unipolar depression is often different than bipolar depression and requires a different treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Mental Health © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net