Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Type II Bipolar Disorder?

I was diagnosed with type II bipolar about a month ago and I'm really having a lot of trouble dealing with it. I can't handle my mood swings and I feel like i'm just "being". Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?
Answer:
Did they put you on medication? My son is bipolar. It has taken a while to get his medication worked out right but it has made wonders for him. If you are medicated and it isn't working, tell your dr. If you aren't on medicine tell the dr. the problems you are having and see what he/she suggests.
talk to your doctor about something like lithium. it helps alot. I'm bipolar and I love it.
Read as much as you can about the disorder. Take the time to figure out what makes it worse and what soothes you. Take medication if it was prescribed and find an outlet. ie. counselor, chat group, activities such as sports. Eat healthy, get lots of exercise and get plenty of sleep. If a certain person or situation bothers you, avoid it. If you notice certain foods trigger your mood, avoid them. Its a live and learn experience. Good luck but always stay on top of it.
Have you got more professional opinions than just one? It's so dangerous to be labelled yet if it is right you can make changes in spite of the diagnosis. Sometimes we need to go completely against an opinion to prove if it's wrong. Don't write off your life. You can still enjoy your in spite of any doctor's diagnosis. Give yourself lots of room to grow and change and choose not to stay in it.
I have been on Lithium Carbonate for over 10 years now. It is the only drug I have tried and I am pretty happy with it. I have several friends who have tried many different drugs and it just is something that you have to try. Good luck
Hi:

Well, the first thing I would suggest to you would be to call your doc and get an appointment so you can discuss those mood swings and then decide on a treatment plan to put into place for you.

If you are not in therapy, check with your doc about this also, maybe it will help you. Lord knows I love therapy!

If you have started any medication therapy then you must remember that most Bipolar meds will take between 4 - 8 weeks to build to a theraputic level that you will actually notice some improvements.

A not on Lithium. Lithium and some Bipolar patients are a match made in heaven, myself included. But Lithium is not a med that a new diagnosis of Bipolar 2 will jump right into. Lithium is one of the last meds that are usually tried, it is a strong and potent med and must be monitored by a doc constantly. Is is not a med to be fooled around with. If you want to learn more about Lithium, here is a link for you:

http://www.healthline.com/multumcontent/...

I also will suggest that you learn all you can about Bipolar 2. Here are a few sites to get you going:

http://www.psycheducation.org/

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bipolar...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/bipolar_dis...

Be safe and be well

http://www.bipolardisordersymptoms.info/...
I was diagnosed manic depressive over twenty years ago. They now call it Bipolar disorder. And of that, I am a type II like you. It is very hard to accept especially since it still carries stigmatism and thus hard to talk to just any one about. It helped me a lot to think of my disorder as like having diabetes. You have a diorder that like a diabetic will be with you the rest of your life. No one would ever think to blame the diabetic for having their disease nor would they ever tell them to stop taking their medication. The mood swings you are having are because you have not found the right "combination" of medication that help you deal with it and feel more "normal". Unfortunately, trying to find the right combination can take some time and work with your psychiatrist. I hope you like your psychiatrist and trust them and feel that they work well with you. This relationship is crucial. I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Mental Health © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net