Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Trichotillomania?

i've had trichotillomania since the age of 12 yrs old. i've tried a self help book to stop. i've tried ying-yang relaxing balls to keep my hands busy, wearing a bandana, wearing gloves, having my nails done, etc. i am still not able to stop and it is very embarrasing to me. anyone out there with any advice?
Answer:
Hey, try something else to do with keeping your hands busy, like knitting or making greeting cards :) i rekn learning an instrument could also be useful as you are keeping your hands busy and relaxing through music therapy ... something like piana, guitar or a brass/wind instrument . I would recommend harp but is really hard to find a tutor for. Also try keeping a diary, that way you reaslise sub-conschiously when you are doing it, and eventually whaen you really find it embarrassing, your sub-conschious mind will start easing you off it . Keep the faith up sweetheart, you'll get through it when you believe you really can ;)
Yeah... I can write books on the subject, seeing that I've had the condition for about 16 years now. And you know what I've learned during those 16 years? That trichotillomania is a part of my reality and I need to accept it. The goal is control, not stopping completely.

You should make a search on Y!A on Trich 'cause I've answered several questions that deal with this same subject, and I forget all that I've said 'cause there is so much to say. For me the biggest relief was knowing that I wasn't the only person who was doing this. Didn't make me feel like such a freak anymore.

There is nothing normal about trich, but every person in the world has his and her own unique problems they must deal with. This is one of the crosses god has choosen for me to carry. He also gave me BPD and clinical depression, which suck way more than the trich itself...

If you really want to stop, and can't see yourself living life without getting rid of this habit, then I recommend you seek out a qualified behavioral therapist to help you. 'Cause there is just no way that you will find the cure in a book. No way. Can't be done. Not to crush your hopes and dreams, but it can't be done. Maybe it'd be best for you not to think about this so much, and maybe that will help you get on with your life.

Oh, and stop feeling embarrassed. I know others cannot understand, but you are beautiful no matter what. Remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


Mental Health © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net